10.21.2010

Boo!

This was a very good article. My thoughts exactly.


Every year EVERY holiday seems to get blown up bigger and bigger and earlier and earlier. People are even going all out decorating for Valentine’s Day and Easter. Wonder how many know the true meaning of Easter rather than associating it with bunnies and eggs? But I digressed so back to my point.

Halloween has grown to be almost as big a deal as Christmas as far as decorating. And I must admit, I do love fall and that includes Halloween. Now some Christians balk at this “holiday” but we went trick-or-treating and wore costumes every year and I didn’t grow up to be a devil worshipper or a witch. I didn’t instill those scary aspects of the day into my child nor will we do it with our grandchildren. We look at it like a fun day.

Our small little rural church has made this a special event for the past few years with trunk-or-treat, hayrides, games and plenty of free food. Yeah, you know Baptists can’t do anything without food. Last year there were over 300 people there. We are expecting even more this year.

I was a bit disturbed going into the SpiritHalloween store to get costumes for the redheads. First of all they tell you either don’t bring in your purse (just a pocketbook) or else they will inspect your purse when you exit. I’ve never had that request before. But the first display you come upon is monster babies. Lots of green, bloody, sharp toothed babies. I just don’t go for that kind of scariness. I hurried the girls on past that part.

Even though they had been talking fairy costumes they settled on ladybugs.

And if you are an adult looking for a costume be prepared to go as “hoochie _______”. Fill in the blank. Every costume they had was R rated. Even some of the tween/teen costumes had the same look. Sorry, I don’t go for that.

So enjoy your Halloween and keep it safe. I know I’m gonna have some of the cutest ladybugs ever!

No comments: