3.28.2014

Final Days

I’ve been thinking about death a lot lately.  I don’t consider this anything unusual.  I assume most people do this as they get older.

Am I ready for death?  Yes, spiritually.  But it’s certainly not anything I want rushed up.  I do think about my grandchildren and hope I can see them graduate and get married.  And I’d like to hold my great grandchildren.  I think about family and friends who do not know the Lord and hope there is more time to witness to them. 
As I age, each little ache I get makes me suspicious.  What is this?  Will it go away?  Is it something serious?  Relax, it’s just an ache.  It will go away.  Hopefully.  

I have several friends that are dealing with catastrophic illnesses. I have watched them battle courageously and wondered if I could fight the same way or would I hang my head in defeat.  I seriously believe our attitude has a lot to do with how we heal.  Some of those friends will be healed.  Others will not.  Death does not discriminate. 
             “This world has nothing for me.  This world is not my home.”              
             - Building 429

I’ve lost several friends over the past few months.  Unexpected deaths.  This really hits home.  I’d love to have one last chance to spend time with them and to hug them and tell them just how much I value their friendship.    

“Don’t it always seem to go that you don’t what you’ve got ‘til it’s gone.”
– Joni Mitchell
At times I consider social media, namely Facebook, a nemesis.  It digs into our time we could be using more productively, reading our bible, talking to our family.  Then again, I love the way it has brought me back in touch with so many of my old friends and school mates.  You don’t realize how much you’ve missed someone until you see them face to face again.      

“When you are in the final days of your life, what will you want?  Will you hug that college degree in the walnut frame?  Will you ask to be carried to the garage so you can sit in your car?  Will you find comfort in rereading your financial statement?  Of course not.  What will matter then will be people. If relationships will matter most then, shouldn't they matter most now?”     
- Max Lucado

Death does not discriminate.  Be prepared.  Be ready.  Tomorrow is not promised.

“Turn your eyes upon Jesus.  Look full in his wonderful face.  And the things of earth will grow strangely dim in the light of His glory and grace.” 
- Helen H. Lemmel
Young people, stay in touch with your friends.  Don’t sit back and say “they never call me”.  Make the first move and send them a message.  If there are any hard feelings, apologize.  Just don’t lose them.  Death will come knocking on your door one day.  And theirs.  Then it will be too late.

“Make new friends but keep the old.  One is silver and the other is gold.”

No comments: