7.20.2008

Friday Night Fever

It’s happening

I’m getting that feeling again. It happens this time every year. I don’t quite know how to explain it. Excitement. Exhilaration. Anticipation. What is it? HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL FEVER!

As it is in most towns in the south, high school football is a big deal here. And I love it as much as the next fan. Just something about those Friday night lights, the cheers of the fans, the sound of the bands, the smell of grilled burgers.

No, I don’t have a boy that plays. I have a girl. She normally cheers but this year she is in color guard. High school band will be a different experience for me but I’m looking forward to it.

For me the excitement really began as the Clarion Ledger started revealing their Dandy Dozen for this season. They changed up the format this year. Instead of notifying the chosen players ahead of time and releasing the names all at once in the paper, they are revealing one name a day for twelve straight days in random order. Even the guys don’t know they’ve been selected until their named is posted. I couldn’t wait till noon time everyday to see whose name and picture would be there. On day seven, one of our own cougar boys made the list.

If I don’t make it to the game, I’m watching the 10:00 news for scores or jumping on the Clarion Ledger website to check the scores and headlines. Even though our team games are not broadcast on the local radio station, I still listen to pull against our biggest rival. Sorry panthers. You’d do the same thing. I even wake up early on Sunday mornings so I scan the local paper for the write up and pictures. Like my daddy always did, I always pull the sports section out first. I’ll read thoroughly to see if any of the boys I know personally made any notable plays.

So, I’ve got our schedule printed and posted. Hopefully it will be a good year for us this season, especially with a “dandy dozen” player on the team. Of course, it takes an entire team to win. But win or lose, the fans will be there to support their team.

Then it’s time for basketball…

No comments: