8.27.2008

Watching Gustav

I’m one of those weird weather fanatics that used to get excited about hurricanes. “USED” to. Katrina crushed all that. Now I get scared rather than excited.

No, I never wanted to see a category 4 or 5 hurricane come ashore. Just a good ol’ tropical storm, blowing in the cool breezes, flapping the stop signs (they always show a stop sign on the news), the bumper to bumper northward bound traffic on the interstate, and the usually much needed rain that would take out the Mississippi humidity. It was just some kind of feeling I can’t describe. Other weather fanatics can tell you exactly what I’m talking about.

But Katrina replaced that feeling with fear. No more excitement, just apprehension and worry. I don’t ever want to go through that again. Never.

So now we are keeping a close watch on Gustav. Even though we have no idea where or what he will do, folks around here are already getting prepared. Water, cash, gas, ice, coolers, gas, batteries, canned goods, more gas, generators, even more gas. Yes, people remember sitting in the gas lines for hours after Katrina, if you were lucky enough to find a service station that had gas. Oh the simple things we take for granted.

Right now it’s just a wait and see scenario. I will be praying.

No comments: